Hanging out with 9 week old – A Reassuring note to expecting moms. Yes, your newborn can possess a personality!8
October 23, 2012 by Katia
I’ll let you in on a little secret. 9 week old and I have gotten pretty close. We dig each other. We have our own little life here that happens when nobody else is watching, with our own routines and inside jokes that no one else gets like Puffs (with an emphasis on the P) and babushka (you had to be there). Our little arrangement takes place every day while 3 year old is off doing god knows what (cause he won’t tell me) at daycare and dad’s off doing god knows what (cause it’s computer-related) at work. Just so you know it’s not all rainbows and butterflies, we had a fight the other day and things got more like monsters and trolls but my target reader today is the uncorrupted expecting mom so let this be a mostly positive post. Here’s a smiley :-).
Now that we’re rainbows and butterflies again here are a few facts that you need to know about my newborn, 9 week old:
- 9 week old thinks that he lives in his Baby Bjorn. He is absolutely right too. He prefers to spend every waking hour there, just hanging out*. He is quite the screamer when it comes to food, colic and being separated from his carrier. I’m recognizing the beginnings of a future temper in the demanding “AAAA!” that he directs at me whenever I dare place him in an alternative living arrangement such as his play pan. I am a little scared of 9 week old and what he can do to me, so I let him just hang out.
- This is 9 week old’s belief system about life:
- Life is mostly funny and also exciting. He reacts to both occasions with laughter. His nine week old laugh is a silent north-east to south-west stretch of the mouth with a slight tilt of the head and raising of the shoulders so they completely swallow his neck. If this image doesn’t put that whole delivery room minor inconvenience in perspective for you, I don’t know what will.
- Life’s pretty darn amazing (as in surprising). 9 week old’s facial expression is one of constant surprise, but I suspect that some of the time he is not actually surprised. 9 week old’s eyes are constantly wide open as he moves his head and scans his surroundings in slow motion with his mouth forming a tiny O shape. On those occasions that 9 week old is genuinely surprised another layer of amazement is added to his pre-existing expression deepening it and rendering it into a comic, cartoon-like look of astonishment.
- Life’s pretty darn amazing as in a+b. The other day I took him out for a walk in his carrier. I was fixing the straps and happened to look at him for a second. I caught him smiling a deeply satisfied “scoooore!” kind of smile. Why I use this as an example of a+b? Not exactly sure. But here’s a picture:
- Sometimes life’s a bitch. In 9 week old’s book, failure to get something the exact second you realized you want it, is a Hiroshima scale tragedy. There will be no image attached. This is a positive post. 🙂
3. 9 week old’s colour is red and his Halloween costume is Superman, which 3 year old was not so happy with until he found out that said costume is actually a pajama. Now he just thinks 9 week old is quirky.
4. 9 week old was born 2 weeks earlier than his due date and immediately felt like he had to catch up to his gestational age. I don’t know what he thought other fetuses were up to, but he was holding his head up at the age of 2 days.
5. 9 week old is a Leo with a rising Scorpio which, according to my father, is quite the combination.
6. When 9 week old was one day short of 2 weeks old they told me at the breastfeeding clinic that he was ‘immature for his age’. Of 2 weeks. When I raised the scientific hypothesis that maybe it’s, ummm, because he was like born two weeks earlier and stuff?! they dismissed my hypothesis by saying that it was just his nature.
7. While 3 year old’s first action when he came to the world was to spit at one of the delivering nurses, 9 week old caught his daddy’s finger and held on.
8. Not so funny alert but also kind of encouraging if you are going through fertility treatments ** –I am grateful beyond words for 3 year old and 9 week old. I have never met anyone so interesting, unique and magical with such great hair as my two boys. They were both conceived through IUI but whereas 3 year old was conceived upon first attempt it took a year, 6 tries and one miscarriage to get pregnant with 9 week old. The month of October marks one year since that other heartbeat ceased. I carry in my wallet the sonogram that was given to us a year ago in honour of the life that was there for a while and I will never forget it. I am so happy and grateful, a year later, to be where I am.
- Check out the pun, haha! Here’s a winking smiley 😉
- On a more serious note, I ‘m happy to talk directly to anyone who has gone or is going through fertility treatments or a miscarriage. I am by no means an expert on any of those subjects, but would love to extend my sympathy and encouraging words. You can email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org